Walled Garden Square (maybe)
Curious, I whipped one up. And it turned out quite pretty.
I have no idea if I copied this pattern from a book or made it up myself. It would have been done over 25 years ago and I have troubling remembering yesterday! I searched the Ravelry pattern database without success and made enquiries amongst the members - no one (so far) could come up with a source.
So, I'm sharing the pattern with you all here. If anyone does recognise it - perhaps from an afghan pattern rather than as a single square - do please let me know, so I can attribute it properly!
- US terms
- DK + G hook = 6” (bearing in mind I crochet loosely) but you can use what you like
- Beg Cluster = ch 3, *yo, insert hook in ch-1 sp, yo, pull thru, yo, pull thru 2 loops on hook, rpt from * 3 times, yo, pull thru 5 loops on hook
- Cluster = *yo, insert hook in ch-1 sp, yo, pull thru, yo, pull thru 2 loops on hook, rpt from * 4 times, yo, pull thru 6 loops on hook
- blo = back loop only
- Crossed DC = skip one hdc, dc in next hdc, dc in skipped hdc
1) ch 4, (dc in ring, ch 1) x 7, join w slst in 3rd ch of beg ch-4. = 8 dc, 8 ch-1 sp
2) slst into ch-1 sp, Beg Cluster (see above), ch 5, Cluster (see above), ch 5, (Cluster, ch 5) x 6, join w slst to top of Beg Cluster. = 8 Clusters, 8 ch-5 sp
3) slst into ch-5 sp, ch 3, (2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same sp, 4 dc in next ch-5 sp, *(3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-5 sp, 4 dc in next ch-5 sp, rpt from * 2 times, join w slst to 3rd ch of beg ch-3. = 40 dc, 4 ch-2 sp
5) slst into next hdc, ch 3, dc back into join at end of prev round (= Beg Crossed DC), Crossed DC, (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp, *Crossed DC x 7, (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp, rpt from * x 2, Crossed DC x 5, join w slst to 3rd ch of beg ch-3. = 28 Crossed DC, 8 dc, 4 ch-2 sp
6) ch 2, 4 hdc in blo, (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) in ch-2 sp, *16 hdc in blo, (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) in ch-2 sp, rpt from * 2 times, 11 hdc, join w slst to 2nd ch of beg ch-2. = 80 hdc, 4 ch-2 sp
-- Judy M Kerr ©2012
Please email me if you find a mistake (or two) or have any problems. :-)