Monday, 17 November 2014
Thursday, 9 January 2014
Out of Time
Roi - This is the last time I'll mark the anniversary of your passing. We love you. Here's to another new day.
Thursday, 7 November 2013
Lisa's Groovy Granny Shawl
But I was blown away by Lisa Kauma's fantastic shawl and had to share it with you all, with her kind permission, of course.
When I saw the peace sign granny square I knew it was perfect for my friend... I really wanted to make a shawl, since I usually tell people to wrap themselves up and think of it as a big hug from me. I looked around at different shawl patterns and then came up with this shawl. I was happy with how it turned out.I should think she was! What a lucky friend.
Thursday, 24 January 2013
The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honourably.
He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.
Sunday, 13 January 2013
Wednesday, 9 January 2013
Has it been 5 years?
Saturday, 28 July 2012
I heard Hot Knife a few weeks back, thought it was brilliant, loved her voice and have only just gotten around to checking her out. I've just spent about three hours watching videos of her performances and interviews. Fiona Apple rocks!
If you like this video you might like to hear the studio version - less raw and immediate but it showcases her gorgeous voice.
Saturday, 9 June 2012
Walled Garden Square (maybe)
Curious, I whipped one up. And it turned out quite pretty.
I have no idea if I copied this pattern from a book or made it up myself. It would have been done over 25 years ago and I have troubling remembering yesterday! I searched the Ravelry pattern database without success and made enquiries amongst the members - no one (so far) could come up with a source.
So, I'm sharing the pattern with you all here. If anyone does recognise it - perhaps from an afghan pattern rather than as a single square - do please let me know, so I can attribute it properly!
- US terms
- DK + G hook = 6” (bearing in mind I crochet loosely) but you can use what you like
- Beg Cluster = ch 3, *yo, insert hook in ch-1 sp, yo, pull thru, yo, pull thru 2 loops on hook, rpt from * 3 times, yo, pull thru 5 loops on hook
- Cluster = *yo, insert hook in ch-1 sp, yo, pull thru, yo, pull thru 2 loops on hook, rpt from * 4 times, yo, pull thru 6 loops on hook
- blo = back loop only
- Crossed DC = skip one hdc, dc in next hdc, dc in skipped hdc
1) ch 4, (dc in ring, ch 1) x 7, join w slst in 3rd ch of beg ch-4. = 8 dc, 8 ch-1 sp
2) slst into ch-1 sp, Beg Cluster (see above), ch 5, Cluster (see above), ch 5, (Cluster, ch 5) x 6, join w slst to top of Beg Cluster. = 8 Clusters, 8 ch-5 sp
3) slst into ch-5 sp, ch 3, (2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same sp, 4 dc in next ch-5 sp, *(3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-5 sp, 4 dc in next ch-5 sp, rpt from * 2 times, join w slst to 3rd ch of beg ch-3. = 40 dc, 4 ch-2 sp
5) slst into next hdc, ch 3, dc back into join at end of prev round (= Beg Crossed DC), Crossed DC, (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp, *Crossed DC x 7, (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp, rpt from * x 2, Crossed DC x 5, join w slst to 3rd ch of beg ch-3. = 28 Crossed DC, 8 dc, 4 ch-2 sp
6) ch 2, 4 hdc in blo, (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) in ch-2 sp, *16 hdc in blo, (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) in ch-2 sp, rpt from * 2 times, 11 hdc, join w slst to 2nd ch of beg ch-2. = 80 hdc, 4 ch-2 sp
-- Judy M Kerr ©2012
Please email me if you find a mistake (or two) or have any problems. :-)
Saturday, 26 May 2012
I've recently started making squares for SIBOL - Sunshine International Blankets of Love - and their "symbol" is crocheted butterflies. It reminded me that I had this pattern languishing in my collection.
I can't claim it as an original idea but I've never come across another pattern for it (similar but not quite the same), so I'd like to share it. If anyone does know the source please let me know.
As always, if you spot any goofs please email me. Thanks!
Thursday, 17 May 2012
Peace Granny Square - Reverse V-Stitch deciphered
Thanks so much for contacting me. In hindsight, Reverse V-stitch may have been a poor choice of name – Upside-down V-stitch is more accurate. Perhaps if I write that round out “longhand” it will be a little clearer...
I hope this helps. If it's still as clear as mud please don't hesitate to contact me. Happy hooking!Rnd 7) With B: sc in beginning ch3 of the previous round, ch 2, (skip next stitch, sc in next stitch, ch 2) x 3, *skip next stitch, #yarn over, insert hook in stitch, yarn over, pull through stitch, yarn over, pull through two loops on hook (2 loops will remain on hook), yarn over, skip next stitch, insert hook in stitch, yarn over, pull through stitch, yarn over, pull through two loops on hook, yarn over, pull through 3 loops on hook (Reverse V-stitch complete)#, ch 2, (dc in same stitch as last dc, ch 2) x 2, repeat between #s starting in same stitch as last dc, (ch 2, skip next stitch, sc in next stitch) x 6, ch 2, repeat from * around, join with slip stitch to beginning sc. = 40 ch2 spaces
Friday, 13 April 2012
...Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt, crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day;...
Monday, 2 April 2012
Saturday, 11 February 2012
With Whom is no Variableness, Neither Shadow of TurningIt fortifies my soul to knowThat, though I perish, Truth is so:That, howsoe'er I stray and range,Whate'er I do, Thou dost not change.I steadier step when I recallThat, if I slip, Thou dost not fall.